Wednesday, April 30, 2008

日本語お上手ですねー

Before doing KCJS, I had taken the first two years of college Japanese at Wash U, and after taking the placement test, I was placed into the C-level Japanese class: smack dab in the middle in terms of proficiency. KCJS also requires a minimum of two years' worth of classes, so everyone in the program had at least some familiarity with the language. So what was it like being immersed in the language 24/7?

Well, I could handle the two-hour daily Japanese classes in the mornings (provided I had had my can of coffee - all of us were practically chained to the vending machine on the first floor), and I certainly had the skills to handle the necessary conversations like asking for directions or requesting basic information. Conversing with my host family wasn't really a problem either. It took a bit of effort at times, but we never had any real confusion or misunderstandings. I really enjoyed talking to them too, and even the most random topics could turn into an enjoyable discussion. One dinner conversation revolved entirely around the multitude of ways that fish is prepared in different parts of Japan (I really wanted to try to the fish marinaded in miso...).

But it could be pretty tiring too! I remember that, especially in the beginning, my brain would just feel like shutting down by the end of the day. The program faculty strongly encouraged us to speak Japanese amongst ourselves, even outside of class, but even the scoldings were never effective for more than a couple of days at most. Being able to talk in English was just *such* a relief. And I fully admit that towards the end of the semester I was probably putting less effort than I should have been - the whole "X number of kanji a day" thing never even fully got off the ground, and more and more I found myself slipping into English whenever I could get away with it.

So what did my semester abroad do for my proficiency level? Quite a lot, actually. I've heard from previous students that most students don't really get comfortable with the language and see that significant jump until somewhere along the second semester, and I can see that. While my Japanese improved in all aspects (reading, writing, listening, conversing, etc.), there are still so, so many things to learn, and I even felt discouraged at times. But while the improvement was subtle, it was definitely there. I still remember the pride and excitement I felt when I watched a nature documentary with my host mother and realized I could understand most of it. The daily Japanese classes are a definite push, and really, even if you're a lazy student, just the experience of being surrounded by the language will have its effect. I picked up kanji while biking or walking around and idly reading the signs on streets and stores, and I improved my listening comprehension by picking up snatches of conversation while eating or standing in line. And even though most of my conversations with strangers consisted of asking for directions, with only slight variations, at least I loosened up and gained confidence in myself. It was only after I left Japan and realized how quickly I was forgetting everything that I understood how much the experience had helped me. By the way, don't be discouraged by the fact that you'll quickly forget things once you leave - yes, you *will* forget specific things like vocabulary and kanji, but the basic skills will still be there. Plus, the info will be in your brain and be much easier to remember and recall the second time around.

What also helps? The constant praising you'll receive from Japanese people (hence the title of this post). I'll never forget my first experience of being praised - it was from a Jehovah's Witness going door-to-door, and incidentally, he's the only Jehovah's Witness who has ever inspired warm and fuzzy feelings in me. Eventually you will become desensitized and will soon realize that Japanese will praise you for responding correctly to an extremely basic "yes or no" question, and then it just becomes obligatory conversation fodder (just humbly and swiftly deny the praise and move on). And this means that you shouldn't expect to receive much constructive criticism or corrections, which is unfortunate from an educational point of view. But hey, it does feel good for at least a little bit!

No comments: