Wednesday, April 30, 2008

$$$$$

...i.e., the one thing I *don't* miss about Japan. In general, of course, things in Japan are just more expensive than in the United States. If I recall correctly, a can of Coke from a vending machine was both smaller and more expensive (about a dollar, I believe). There are an abundance of 100円 stores (dollar stores) and convenience stores, but the quality of the stuff sold there usually reflected the price too. Surprisingly, affordable food and clothing were pretty easy to find. The cafeteria in Kyoto University was especially amazing - a bowl of ramen for a dollar? Heck yeah! The taste was nothing to write home about, but it was certainly edible, and definitely healthier than the usual greasy grub I get at Wash U. The program gave us 800 yen, or about $8 a day for lunch, and almost every day I was able to stay under budget.

But I ended up spending money on so many other things, and often without really realizing it. For one thing, travel surprisingly ate into my budget. I was lucky enough to be able to bike to class, but on rainy days, or for longer distances, I had to take the bus or train, and the fares did add up. In contrast, I walk to class every day at Wash U, rain or shine, and when I go off-campus I get rides with friends or take the Metro (which is free for students). Then things like entrance fees, tickets to random events, phone fees, concerts, karaoke, bars, useless souvenirs, etc. add up too. And it's incredibly hard to resist shopping when everything is so novel and new. Not just souvenirs either - things like clothes, books, and video games were all so different and appealing!

Before I went to Japan I had already expected to spend lots of money, and really, to a certain extent, I think it's justifiable. It's a shame to go to a foreign country and then have to miss out on some rare experiences because of money concerns. Because I was worried about money, I generally avoided long-distance travel. Besides the trip to Tokyo Disneyland, I limited myself to Kyoto and its surrounding cities, even during the week-long fall break. And honestly, I kind of regret this decision in retrospect. I was in Japan for four months, and I didn't even get to see most of Tokyo, much less Hokkaido or Okinawa! To make up for it, I did get to explore the Kansai region pretty thoroughly, but I still do feel that I missed out on something. I think money is a really important consideration for study abroad. My advice to students considering it - just be aware that you're going to spend a lot of money, and probably more than what you may have initially expected. And while budgeting and good planning can get you pretty far, be aware that, in the end, spending money *is* really important to enjoying your experience!

No comments: